MDMK leader Vaiko has been protesting against the Sterlite factory and he was
one of the petitioner to shut down the Sterlite copper smelting factory permanently.
During the hearing of the Sterlite re-open petition, MDMK leader Vaiko asked for 45 minutes to argue.
He was promised to be given time by the SC in the next session as promised he was given the time to put forth his points.
Here are the 5 important points MDMK leader Vaiko made in SC, ceased Sterlite factory re-open.
- He pointed out the Tirupur dye factory case, Noiyal river case, Vellore leather factory case.
- He gave evidence on how the water is being polluted in the nearby area.
- He listed out what are the things the pollution control board did not take into account.
- National Green Tribunal does not have the authority to constitute an enquiry commission
- Pointed out that the TN govt failed to produce important evidence.
The Supreme Court ruled out that the National Green Tribunal had no power to investigate the case and reserved that the ban on the Sterlite plant would continue.